Mold, it happens, and we’ve gone over this at least a dozen times before. However unlike the other days where we talk about the need to catch mold early, or how to go about inquiring to a mold remediation today we will be focusing more on why having a mold problem in your home can be detrimental to your health.
Mold happens in everyday things, like that bagel you ate this morning (yeast), those mushrooms in your pasta sauce, or growing outside on leaves and trees. However when mold enters the home different problems can occur. Not saying you should remove bread from your house, or never have mushrooms, no we’re talking about mold you personally did not want.
Typically New England springs and summers are the worst times for mold growth. With high heat and humidity areas like attics and between walls become perfect breeding grounds for mold. Mold does not affect any two people the same way, while some might itch, others may suffer from migraines, while others may have their airways swell shut in a terrible reaction. The trouble is knowing the signs.
If you live in a home with a mold contamination, chances are you think any symptom your facing is related to something else entirely. Since mold has the ability to slowly grow, the acclamation process is prolonged meaning you might not notice the problem until you hit the proverbial iceberg. That one change in the atmosphere can change your drippy nose into nose bleeds, or worse.
If you notice that your condition at home decreases, that you feel ill while in your home you should seek a doctor’s opinion as to why this is happening. You may ask if mold could be a culprit, and if they think so hire a certified air quality professional to take samples of the air to monitor the amount of spores in the air. If there is a high amount of mold present, call us.
Only a doctor can determine if what you are experiencing is the result of a mold problem in your home, and likewise only a professional can monitor the level of contamination in your home. Self diagnosis or testing is not the answer.
Later we will be discussing what one family went through when their home was attacked by an aggressively active mold. Stay tuned.