Hey everyone, apparently our two blogs yesterday were actually read. I know what a concept huh? I had three questions come in, so I thought I might answer them. Oh, and to the fourth who asked why I don’t respond to the question directly: I don’t just because it will spam our other linked in social media sites. I’d rather not do that. Anyways without further adieu here’s our answers…
Question One: “You know I heard a story recently about a family on a boat who lost their two kids because of carbon monoxide. What’s going on there?
Answer: I think the case you’re referring to was a rather famous case from the late 1990s that happened on one of the great lakes I believe. The two children swam under the boat and came upt o play under the anchored boat where there was an air pocket. However this pocket was for the exhaust. The children ended up losing consciousness and drowning. Since then carbon monoxide detectors are expected in all boats, and the general consensus that you should not ever go under a boat.
Remember that a boat does run on gas, which means there is a chance of carbon monoxide poisoning in the interior. Make sure to have a battery operated detector functioning at all times.
Question Two: “I have a house, and I do have fire detectors, but I also have this ancient fire extinguisher under my kitchen sink. Will that still work?
Answer: The best way to tell is to look at the card attached to the device. I should have an expiration date somewhere on it. If it’s over that date it’s time to get a new one. Every home should have one, especially in the kitchen.
Question Three: “this isn’t really a question but a story. About four years ago my house caught on fire, it wasn’t like we lost the house but I had gone to fold laundry while dinner was cooking. I smelled smoke but the fire detector had not gone off. By the time I got to the kitchen there was thick black smoke! Why wasn’t the smoke detector going off? So the fire department came and handled the fire, but then I found out why. Apparently my husband had taken out the batteries because it was chirping. Not “Oh hey maybe I should just put in new batteries” What if I had gone outside? Or what if it was worse? Or at night? My point is don’t be lazy and just let the thing beep, get a damned step stool and put in new batteries. Oh, and I called you guys to clean up the smoke damage. Good job by the way.”
Reply: I almost want to giggle at this but it is a serious situation. We are very sorry that this ever happened, but glad we could help. Doing a little research on ye olde google I’ve discovered you’re not alone. Actually I read one story about a couple who bought a house and didn’t check the detectors. All the batteries were out, and it nearly killed them when a fire broke out. We’re just happy that in your case everyone was okay, I’m sure your husband got an ear full. Thanks for writing in!
We love hearing from you, it means a lot to us to know that you guys are taking what we are saying day after day to heart. If you have stories, questions, or ideas for future blogs please send us a message on Facebook, twitter, or just click over on our ask box here on tumblr. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can!